|Date(s)||January 30th, 2017|
Marché de Dieppe Market, 232 Gauvin road, Dieppe, NB
Want to learn more about how to raise pastured organic chickens for profit?
Considered as the "gateway" type of livestock production, poultry is often the first kind of livestock production that beginning farmers pursue, whether it is integrated into an existing horticultural operation, or established as an independent enterprise that scales up over time. However, like any form of entrepreneurship, farmers need to develop the necessary knowledge and skills to ensure that there is a fairly quick turnaround time from investment to profit, while also ensuring a product is of high quality, safe and adheres to the regulations outlined in the Canadian Organic Standard.
Learn from the regional experts Tim Livingstone (Strawberry Hill Farm) and Sally Bernard (East Coast Organic Feed Mill) as we explore a variety of topics related to how to improve or establish a certified organic pastured poultry enterprise. Please note that this day will primarily focus on chickens.
The conference will be held at the Marché de Dieppe Market, Dieppe, NB, on Tuesday January 30th - registration and coffee at 8:30 am.
Lunch is not provided.
Bounty Woods Farm will have a Cackellac pasture poultry shelter (chicken tractor) on display. Sure to generate great discussion! For more information please vist their website at www.bountywoodsfarm.ca/cackellac
Target Audience: Farmers (all levels of experience) and those interested in organic pastured poultry production!
Event Learning Outcomes:
Beginning/Integrating/Expanding Organic Pastured Poultry Production - basics of chick rearing, breed selection, housing and equipment.
Cost of Production - Developing enterprise budgets for meat and/or layer production based on potential markets.
Processing and Food Safety Concerns for Meat & Egg Producers
Poultry Nutrition - feed sources and rations; digestive considerations; flock health & disease management
Considerations for Certified Organic Poultry Operations
Regulations and Programs for Poultry Production
Sally Bernard - Sally and her partner, Mark and their four kids, own East Coast Organic Feed Mill /Barnyard Organic Ltd in Freetown PEI, where they have produced certified organic grains and oilseeds since 2003. For the past ten years, they also raise organic meat chickens & organic laying hens whose eggs and meat they sell through their 100 member CSA. Along with soybean roasting, seed cleaning and grain drying, Mark and Sally have built an on-farm provincially inspected organic poultry processing facility to do custom processing as well.
Sally's latest project is her foray into becoming a Rent the Chicken operator–an exciting North-American-wide initiative that provides families with an affordable and practical opportunity to try out having backyard hens for fresh eggs without incurring long-term commitment and start-up costs.
Tim Livingstone - Tim Livingstone grew up on a farm in New Hampshire and helped with the care of a variety of livestock. He also managed pasture for grazing sheep. His family grew a big vegetable garden every year as he was growing up. He worked for about 20 years in the greenhouse industry primarily raising bedding plants. In 2001 he started with the production of organic soils and then compost and compost teas. In 2003 Tim and Kirsten took training in soil biology and biological farming. This training continued into 2006 meanwhile Tim worked with growers, landscapers, and farmers to use more biological methods of growing and incorporate compost teas, etc. In 2011 Tim and his wife Kirsten bought their own farm–Strawberry Hill Farm–near Woodstock, NB on which they farm certified organic livestock, vegetables, and berries with the aim to create a holistic farm where all parts support the whole.
Tom Byers, New Brunswick Department of Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries - Non Ruminant Specialist
Tara Scott, ACORN Organic Transition Coordinator
ACORN's Cancellation Policy - All notice of cancellations must be received in writing one week in advance and 75% of registration fees will be refunded, with the remaining 25% to support ACORN's administrative management. Cancellations received after this date will not be refunded. Substitutions received in writing from the registered participant will be accepted. Cancellations and substitutions should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACORN gratefully acknowledges the support of the NB Department of Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries for this event.